Monday, September 13, 2010

Wikipedia

I have used Wikipedia many times. Throughout high school and 2 years at Hawkeye, I was always told not to use Wikipedia as a source. When I am writing a paper about a subject, going to Wikipedia to get an idea always helped me. I like using Wikipedia when I want to know something about a celebrity, a band, etc. Just the other day, my co worker was telling me how her boyfriend is such a dork because he gets so bored at work, sitting in front of a monitor, looking up random stuff on Wikipedia for hours. A friend of his asked what the population of Iowa was, and he knew it right away thanks to Wikipedia haha.

After reading what Lessing's and Schiff's describes about Wikipedia, I do believe it will conquer expertise. Like Lessing's chapter says, there are so many experts out there with free time who rather edit and write for Wikipedia, then watch television. Because Wikipedia is a free source site and has no advertisement, people are going to use it more. I hate being harassed by adds, and I know I'm not the only one who hates it. Lessing states an example in his book saying that giving money to a love one for sex can ruin a relationship. Same concept goes with sources on the internet.

I believe people share/give up their time easily things on the internet for many reasons. Just like Mr. Arora says, years ago, he would be reading magazines and newspapers, or books. Now he does the same thing, except he goes online and shares it with people. It's just a hobby of his. When I find a funny or an awesome music video on youtube, I have to post it on Facebook. I love to read people's responses and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment