Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Google

I am like Dan Firger in the sense that I am a relatively avid Google user. Google Chrome is even my web browser! I have a Gmail account, partly because of this class and partly because it gave me an excuse to get even further integrated in Google's "awesomeness." I have the Google phone number on my phone and I can text message it for local weather, Chicago Cubs scores and schedule, business information and various other goodies. I frequently use Google Images to look at new ideas for tattoos and for assignments and use Google Scholar for research assignments. I also use it to find websites that sell Greek apparel so I can have more clothes! It's a great tool for me to use. I would say that I access Google at least five or six times a day for various services that it provides.

I don't know a lot about Google's advertising strategies. I know that it tracks my most popular searches and then embeds that in the advertising windows when I use websites such as Facebook. Doesn't it also make money whenever anybody clicks on one of their links? It owns Youtube, so I'm sure it's making quite a bit of money through that too. The company is going to get bigger by buying more websites and evolving them into these super-human things that remember what I've searched in the past and even gives me suggestions for new searches. It can be kind of creepy, but most of the time it's relatively helpful. I just try not to think about how much information Google has about me and then everything is better. They created Google Chrome web browser and have Gmail as well as these neat programs like Google Docs and other things like that. I really don't know what limits Google has. It's on cell phones and other devices as well. It's EVERYWHERE! Google is aptocratic in the sense that it hires only the smartest of the smart, those who graduated from large schools and can manipulate technology to mimic humans in a way. It is based off standardization and competency. It values knowledge and quickness.

Yahoo! kind of disappeared because it couldn't keep up with Google. Yahoo! is still a relatively decent website, but it has much different goals than Google. They are so far behind when you look at how far Google has come in such a short amount of time. Personally, I have never liked Yahoo!. I found it inconvenient and cluttered with ads. A lot of people appreciate Google because it doesn't have all the clutter or advertising on it. It's a better software or whatever you call it. Maybe in a few years Yahoo! can catch up to Google in some ways, but it will never be as huge as Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment