Monday, September 27, 2010

Commons

I believe that common knowledge is essential for a democracy. How can we be expected to lead when we are unable to know what we are supposed to lead? One must equip themselves with the necessary tools required for making a decision. This is coming from a girl who spent everyday in a library after school for six years. I learned so much when I was there. When I got tired of reading the Boxcar Children or the Babysitter's Club, I turned to things like books about animals and biographies about real people who went through real things. If I went home and rotted my brain (that's for you, Mom!) by watching TV, I probably wouldn't be the avid reader I am today.

The internet is like our own personal public library. Google becomes our card catalog. You can discover anything online for free!

What I got from Vaidhyanathan's text was that we should cherish our libraries, and that they are members of the anarchy party because they share free information for anyone instead of charging people to learn or copyrighting the crap out of stuff. If we were limited to what information we could share, we wouldn't be a democracy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment