Monday, September 27, 2010

THE COMMONS

Ok, we’ve already thoroughly established that libraries are good for democracy because the free information aids the process by keeping citizens educated. Also, the point that the internet should have plenty of commons (just like a library is a commons) has also been established.

Vaidhyanathan compares the “anarchy” of completely free-flowing information with the strict control "the man" wishes to dole it out with. Obviously, Vaidhyanathan (along with most sane adults) wishes to explore and debate the topic, until some reasonable “middle ground” practices are agreed upon.

Both authors described the difficulty involved with trying to show the value of commons, which exists due to the limited and negative vocabulary we rely on to make our points. Instead of arguing over the copyright terms, let’s start using different approaches and focus on the positive aspects of commons. I loved the story about how the environment couldn’t be properly cared for until the term “the environment” became part of our vocabulary. It goes to show you the power of words…….how large ideas can be put into perspective.

Now, here are some of my thoughts. First off, I think libraries are going to have to evolve, or they’re going to disappear. How many young people actually go there, NOT because of an assignment? Stop into the public library on a summer day, or on a weekend, and take a stroll. I take my niece there when I have the time. Do you know where all the kids are? The bookshelves are like a ghost town. All the kids are at the computers playing mindless games. They’re not using Wikipedia, playing learning games, or checking out the National Geographic website. They’re playing free flash games, which are so brainless I can’t describe them in words. My nephew has the same garbage on his Ipod. Basically, the games are as simple as “whack a mole.” Please spare me the nonsense about time limits, because they don’t enforce them. I walked up to the librarian at the desk by the kid’s computers and said, “THAT is sad.” She looked up from Facebook (or whatever she was doing) and said, “I know, right?” The adult scene is equally lame. The books are for the most part ignored, and people are sitting at the computers checking their email or Facebook. If you don’t believe me, like I said, go see for yourself.

These stupid copyright policies have to lighten up. A modern library should grant you access to ANY and ALL forms of media. Movies, songs, television shows, Ebooks, online journals, and everything else should be available at the library. I would have no problem if they implemented some DRM strategy to make media checkouts expire after a certain time. It’s the same with a book……….unless you want to return it in a couple weeks, you’ll have to go buy a copy. If the library remains solely as a place to shelve books and get internet access, they’ll eventually become obsolete. They need to be transformed into a place to legally (and temporarily) download all forms of media.

My second point is regarding the commons. Many people will accuse me of being a fundamentalist for saying this, but I will anyway. In my lifetime, I’ve learned one thing from watching the Supreme Court. They are immoral AND partial towards big money. Call me un-American if you like, but that’s my 2 cents. I’m not counting on them to make any just decisions. SO……(I promise I have a point)……I don’t expect them to protect the commons. I think big business will win in the end, and our society will go further down the rabbit hole. I think more and more as the years go by, the term commons will become synonymous with piracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment