Tuesday, September 7, 2010

FAIR USE

I think that anything someone creates should add value to something, therefore this is my first example of applying fair use to film making. To me adding value can mean something as simple as entertainment or something as complex as increasing the worth substantially. Adding value is a relative term, although I think most people understand it to mean, make something worth more. My next example would be to target my film at a different audience then the original work’s audience. I would be sure to have my film focus on a different purpose than the original work. As long as my film used copyrighted material for commenting or critiquing, for illustration or as an example, to launch discussions, if it was incidental use, or it was a mashup I would be within the area where fair use applies.

For Documentary filmmakers, fair use is vital. Most documentaries are researching and critiquing something or an issue. They can be very negative and not supportive of all sides. Fair use allows documentary filmmakers to use footage to prove their point when they cannot get permission. Why would anyone allow a filmmaker to use their copyrighted assets when the filmmaker is going to show their company in a negative light? Fair use bypasses this problem and allows subjects and issues to be brought public.

I hope this link works; I am not sure how to do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gubrtjcj7e8&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. That is a super funny video, it sounds and looks like that is what is actually supposed to be playing!!

    ReplyDelete