Sunday, September 19, 2010

MASHUP

I was inspired to make this mashup because of the attention Westboro Baptist Church has been receiving from UNI and the surrounding areas. I am frustrated that some people may think Westboro’s views are the same as other Christians, which is not the case. I do not believe that all Christians think God hates America or that the sexual orientation of people causes God to send natural disasters and manmade disasters. I have taken popular Christian music that talks about love and other relevant material and mashed it with various images from protests. I am critiquing the views of Westboro to say that God is Love… and not all Christians believe as Westboro does.

In regards to fair use, I believe the mashup is justified. I have taken images and changed the meaning of them with music. The meaning of the lyrics to the music also has been changed because the images change your way of thinking about the music. A few current YouTube videos had protests as images, although the one I created puts the protest and Westboro’s ideas up against other Christian views.

I really liked this assignment; I have found a new respect for people who are good at this. I never knew what went into this type of project. I think it takes a certian kind of creative mind to make a mashup that is more than video and music, but one that makes a specific, well understood point. Think about how our culture and future would change if we did not have the right to do this.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you in this video kind of contradicted yourself with having both sides of the debate in one video. I thought that this was a good way for you to reach at both parties. I also liked the fact that you weren't trying to push one side or the other you were just making it known that this issue is going on and that you need to be aware of this. I thought that this was real good timing because this last week the Matthew Shepherd debate was going on and it was neat that after seeing your video I was able to relate it to real life which is what I think videos should do. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like your video turned out well. You did a really clean editing job. All the clips run together smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kyle your video does a good job of showing the sides. People don't like to just hear one side without the other. I think your music was perfect to the point you were trying to prove also.

    ReplyDelete