Tuesday, September 14, 2010

WIKIPEDIA

I use Wikipedia a great deal. The most frequent reason is to gather quick and easy to read information about a subject. If I do not understand a certain concept, I will look it up on Wikipedia in order to understand it enough either to use it or to look up further information on the topic. For instance, I had to review a research paper that used p-values and other statistics. I could not remember much about stats because it had been so long since I used them. I went to Wikipedia and looked up the specific statistical value I needed to know about. I had also tried to Google it, although it was difficult to find exactly what I wanted. Wikipedia allowed me the exact information I needed. I also use Wikipedia to gather vague information. By looking up a topic on Wikipedia I can gather quick information and then find the sources of the information most relevant. This allows me to find the beginning references for papers quickly.

In a shared economy, I think Wikipedia can conquer expertise. There are many articles, books, and other sources of information that must be read critically, even though experts write it. Even experts are biased and sometimes incorrect. In some fields, it seems that every expert has a different idea of what is correct. I agree that this is why Wikipedia is good to reference; Wikipedia brings “experts” of all kinds together. Then you can make the choice of whom you agree with and start further research if necessary.

I think for some people sharing information is a game. They want to be the first to find information and share it. For some people, it is something they value. These people value information and feel that they should share something so valuable. There are also people that do not have anything else to do. I have a friend who does not work and just researches and finds things to share. It is not from valuing it, just from wanting to feel accomplished. I think information has been shared for a long time, now it is just immediate and shared at a faster pace. We are a nation that wants to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment