Monday, September 20, 2010

MASHUP

I’ll start by commenting on others’ mashups.

Kyle, your video was hilarious and I totally got your point. Most of the images you used were perfect and the irony of the music was great. I think fair use would protect your work because you completely transformed the source material. That song went with those images like sandpaper on skin. :) The only recommendation I can think of would be to use some video images along with the stills.

Bailey Jo, I think your video achieved its goal as well. The video showed a much different story than the song was conveying. I think you honored the fair use practices because the footage of those models was never meant to promote different body types. Also, you very clearly cited your musical source (which I am curious as to how you got the link for the song to pop up when the video is played). My only suggestion would have been to include a few more shots of uber skinny models. I’ve seen a few over the years that looked emaciated!

Natasha, the point of your mashup was understood. You also did a good job of adding in the little girl’s comments. Your video clearly falls under fair use, and as with Bailey Jo’s video, the footage was definitely not intended for the use you presented. My only suggestion would have been to use the original rap song, for shock value.

Ok, here is my mashup:

Jeff's Mashup

The purpose of my video is to show how disturbing the images we show our children can be. I see kids coming out of R rated movies with their parents ALL THE TIME. There have even been times when I’ve heard babies crying in the theater. I know I was allowed to watch a lot of garbage when I was a kid. Obviously, I’m not just talking about movies in the theater either. There is also cable television and video games.

I focused on violence and language. Some of these scenes really shocked me when I was younger. What should be noted is that in most of these movies, the “heroes” are the ones carrying out most of the violent acts. That says something about are culture. Things have only continued to go down the toilet, seeing that now you can win a Grammy for talking about killing people, pimping women, and selling drugs. Shouldn’t our “good guys” show restraint and only use violence as self-defense?

I think fair use protects my mashup. The song is from a children’s movie (Mary Poppins) and the videos I used are most certainly NOT intended for children. I think I’ve transformed the movies (which were meant to be exciting and recreational) into a disturbing PSA of sorts.

Youtube Poop was my primary inspiration. Those videos are demented and some are created for the sole purpose of causing seizures. I wanted my mashup to be like that. I wanted people to see it and say, “What was THAT?” I wanted people to be hit hard with all the graphic images that I was hit with growing up. Unless parents actually see the type of junk that’s in most movies, they’ll keep letting their kids see them (Although sadly, plenty of them won’t care either way). I can’t even imagine how depraved and overexposed the next generation of kids will be, especially considering all the additional filth found online.

P.S. Listen to the sound effect at about 1:44. I didn't add that.....it's actually in the movie. When those guys get blasted, you hear a "wet" noise, which I assume is from their guts splattering everywhere. Nice, huh?

10 comments:

  1. Great job! It was a tad violent for my taste, but it was put together really well and flowed nicely. I think you're totally fine with the Fair Use law. No one would expect "Spoon Full of Sugar" to be associated with all of those graphic images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree Great Job! Some of the images were a little violent for me but I do think it worked well together. "Spoon Full of Sugar" is a happy song that goes with a whole some good children movie. Its a good mash up because no one will associate the song with violent movies and clips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, nice work. I like that you didn't shy away from the uber-violent junk, because that would've totally dampened the message you were after. I think the video you've got would be pretty safe under the Fair Use situation, since it all takes on a completely different context when taken out of the "environment" of the violent movie and placed in rapid sequence with other similar images (not to mention the song does the same thing, forcing the viewer to consider the desensitization that might occur from a "steady diet" of violent media).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man were their some gross images! But super awesome video Jeff! I do believe it's safe to say you justified Fair Use by using all the different images from different movies/video games, and they are the complete opposite definition of "Spoon full of Sugar"!! lol ps- thanks for helping me with my video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um....I would have really liked a disclaimer I must say. I can't stomach images like that overly well...so yea, I would suggest adding that. I couldn't actually finish it (because I couldn't stand to look at that stuff) but overall you did a good job of mashing together various clips without it seeming jumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff, this is kind of gross! haha But other than that totally awesome. I love the idea and your argument about our society being too violent, however it is a cultural norm in most cases to see images like those shown in your mashup. I think it completely changes the idea of violence by syncing it with, "A Spoon Full of Sugar" which is a much calmer and happy song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right. Even parts of Disney movies are not child appropriate (I think, many would disagree). Great Job! What an appropriate song too, goes with the images well to state the point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...way to go! This is so funny but gross at the same time! I loved all the images and detail put into this hard work! It paid off!!
    -Kelsey K

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job. In my opinion the best one I have seen so far. You totally transformed the original intent of the song and put it with some very graphic clips of violence in American culture. We all know this violence is evident in media today from video games to basic cable. We let this violence be fed into our psyche's without batting a lash, and for that reason I found the irony in your project spot on. Of course, I believe you would be fine as far as Fair Use is concerned as you have completely transformed the original works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff you did a great job with the editing! All of your clips and images run smooth together! I agree with your point as well, many tv shows/movies these days are more inappropriate than they ever have, I feel like producers are setting a new trend.

    ReplyDelete