Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Google

Comparing myself to Dan Firger, I think it is safe to say that I am a Google addict and advocate.  I use Chrome (googles browser), gmail, gchat, and of course google search.  I have several google documents,  I browse google books, I have highly customized my iGoogle home page(s), which I update/change once or twice a year.  I use blogger, which is a Google site as well.  Also, I refuse to use anything but google maps for directions, nor will I take directions from anything but that (my dad likes to annoy me by trying to use the outdated mapquest).  As soon as they come out with an actual social networking site (I thought it was suppose to be wave, but it kind of fell through...?) I will surely be joining.  I could go on but I think you get the point: I am definitely a Google addict.  However, despite all the google tools and applications I use, I do not use google calendar like Firger does.  I have never liked it, but perhaps that is because I use iCal on my Mac.

I don't know any specifics about Google's advertising strategies;  I guess I always thought it was somewhat like the Facebook ads, taking into account my browser history and supply ads based on that.  I can't be at all sure though.  As far as what Google owns, I  feel like the question should be what doesn't Google own?  From what I know for sure, they have YouTube, as we read, as well as Picasa, Blogger, Google earth, SketchUp, and Knol (a sort of Q&A site).  I'm sure there is more beyond this as well.  Google has definitely become a fully integrated part of our society, there is no denying that.  I don't see any slow down in the future either.  I expect Google to come out with the next big social networking site (I think that Facebook has to fall eventually - unless Google buys it of course).  Google has a great handle on keeping up with what is so-called "hip."  They know what consumers want and they keep everything up to date.

As far as being Apocratic, I think it is safe to say that Google "excels at regimented procedures."  If it didn't it wouldn't be as popular as it is, because it wouldn't be nearly up to date.  I think that what really makes the company apocratic is the employees; like Siva says in "Google and Aptocracy," Google hires the best.  With employees who have excelled their whole lives and are able to think and create quickly, how could the company be anything but apocratic.  A huge part of the interview process to get hired is thinking on your feet; I was once told about the suitcase question Google puts to hopefuls during interviews.  Given a suitcase of random items they have to describe how it may be used (regardless if they even know what it is).  This company isn't just looking for the brains, but the street smarts too.  That goes a long way.

Oh Yahoo...my very first email was Yahoo.  To be honest, I just liked the smiley face guy.  I know a lot of people have been saying that Yahoo has fallen behind, but what I took from the Yahoo article was that they were trying to BE Google without coming right out and announcing the fact.
Look at the two screen shots (aside from the fact that the gmail one is a lesser quality):

Aside from a few header differences, the two are nearly identical in formatting.  This clip of Gmail is actually a little outdated, but you can still see the similarities.  The chat box is exactly where it is placed in the new Yahoo, and chat popups come up in the lower right hand corner just as shown above.  Yahoo has "folders" where Google has "labels," and it is minor differences like these that allow them to make this "new formatting" without Google saying that it was a copy.



Aside from mail formatting, look at the "new customization tools" Yahoo is implementing.  Essentially they are taking Google's idea of customization for the consumer and integrating it into their own system, including customization of the Yahoo homepage (iGoogle) and customization of the email inbox look (also available in the gmail settings).

Despite these attempts, Yahoo is still lagging behind.  As has been mentioned by others, they are still just too cluttered, the home page is a mess of boxes and widgets.  Google has claim to that simplicity style, and I just don't think Yahoo can compete with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment