Wednesday, September 8, 2010

FAIR USE

Documentary makers must have access to pieces of copyrighted material, simply because most of our culture is copyrighted. Examining our culture is one of the most essential purposes of documentary filmmaking. Here’s an easy way to look at it………..imagine making a WW2 documentary and not being able to show footage of Hitler because his family owned his estate, and were very strict about when and how his speeches were aired. (Ironically, isn’t that what MLK’s family is doing with his speeches?) Very clearly, if we weren’t allowed to analyze and use this type of material, it would be a form of censorship (I think the video or article mentioned this also), and a dangerous one at that. Not allowing fair use is like not allowing people to write book reviews. Audio and video are part of our world, just like literature is.

As far as how I might employ fair use in a film, I can give you examples of what I have already done. About a year ago, I made a short “shockumentary” meant to expose some of the questionable behavior of our current president. It featured audio clips of things he's said and some music that was ironic, or not meant to invoke the emotion I was appealing to.

I have to say, I was pretty pumped when I found out we’d be talking about mashups. Most of the mashup and remix work that’s floating around is exponentially more creative than the clichés Hollywood and the recording industry are pushing these days. Here are a couple gems. First, a quick disclaimer. I do NOT like the music in the first 2 videos. In my opinion, I think it is sewage. The reason I think these videos are sharp is their irony shows just how foul and degenerate the music really is. I want to gag knowing that one of these “artists” won the Academy Award for Best Song! I suppose most people just like these videos because they think they’re funny.

Ironic rap mix #1

Ironic rap mix #2

Some that I actually think are funny:

Batman

?????????

Fresh Prince YTP

FYI, there are endless Fresh Prince remixes on Youtube. Most of them are completely insane, but for some reason I find them funny. Also, if you didn't know, YTP means Youtube Poop. Basically, YTPs are messed up mashups and remixes. Most of them make very little sense, and some creators only seek to give people seizures.

No comments:

Post a Comment