Monday, September 13, 2010

Wikipedia

I like using Wikipedia just for random things like if I need to know something about something, some place, or a person. But i really don't use it that much just because a lot of teachers say to stay away from it. It can be useful at times though I think if you just want some quick information on something. I didn't really know a lot about Wiki's besides wikipedia, so I tried to find others. I stumbled upon wikileaks and wikibios, which where kind of intersting but I think they are more for people into the whole wikispace thing.
I think that wikipedia could possibly conquer expertise, but it is something that is hard to keep track off and since people can edit it and change it it can't be 100% fool proof. It is very helpful though because there are real experts out there that can share knowledge with others by adding their post, and as long as it is found to be credible and accurate I think this can help wikipedia a lot. The status of expertise in a shared economy is also helped by the fact that the only reason people participate in Wikipedia is to share their knowledge without the intent of receiving incentive it also has no limit on size so that enables it to reach an array of different topics to be shared with audiences.
I think the fact that information is so readily and easily accessible on the internet people are willing to share and give up time just to see others reactions. In a sense its like sharing your ideas or wanting to see what others think of something you've just read, viewed, or just stumbled upon. I do this a lot now that I think about it, whenever I find new music I usually forward the links to videos and things to my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment