Wednesday, September 22, 2010

GOOGLE

I can relate to Dan Firger, simply because I’m using Google products daily. I’m not into the mobile updates, and I don’t care for the calendar apps, but I do use Gmail and obviously the search engine.

I completely disagree with the comment in that article in which Google was labeled, “good guys.” Get real. There are no good guys when it comes to business. It was said that Microsoft tries to force you into doing things their way. Ummm, doesn’t Google kind of do that also? They try and make it sound like a totally convenient thing that you can access Youtube and Blogger accounts with a Google account, but in reality all they’ve done is kept the party in their yard. Pardon me, but maybe I don’t want my email account linked to my Youtube and/or Blogger account. Speaking of, I tried to make a new Google account (for registering to websites……so I don’t get junk mail in my main one) and it asked me for my cell phone number to authenticate my account. I assume it saw that I already have an account at the same IP address. Personally, I HATE stuff like this. If you’re going to advertise a free service, then KEEP it free. When I have to give you my cell phone number, it’s no longer free, in my opinion. I can understand why they do this (people who open hundreds of account for spamming), but someone who opens a second account from the same home shouldn’t have to give up them their cell phone number to proceed. When that spokesperson said, “We’re thinking about user privacy constantly, literally from the earliest stages of product design,” I thought to myself, what a bunch of baloney.

Concerning Google’s advertising strategies; I’ll assume you mean how they present ads. Well, they obviously tailor advertisements based on what you’ve been searching for. When you consider all the information we freely give them (indirectly by searching), it must be an advertiser’s dream scenario. They know what you want, when you want it, how often you want it, and where you’re wanting it from.

Google owns Youtube (which is like owning Boardwalk and Park Place in Monopoly) and Blogger as well. Here is a list, thanks to Wikipedia:
GOOGLE’S TOYBOX

I think Google will continue to grow, as long as our current internet model is around, or until someone comes up with something slicker. As Natasha said, Googling is a verb now. It’s what we do. Don’t know something? Google it.

Google is "Aptocratic" in the sense that they “grade” search results in order to determine what shows up at the top of the list. I think that’s what was meant……….they also mentioned they hired people based on aptitude. I’m honestly not sure. That Vaidhyanathan article hurt to read. Am I the only one? Based on the title of his website, I thought he would be anti-Google, but that article sounded pro-Google. Did I miss sarcasm or something?

What happened to Yahoo? Hmm…let’s see, oh yeah, I know. It sucks. Sorry, I couldn’t think of a better word. If their mission was to be “hip” and user friendly, I think they failed. I don’t care about my horoscope, what movies are playing, or who Lady Gaga is dating. I just want to search the web and check my email. After using Google’s blank slate search engine, there’s no way I’m going back to ad-city.

1 comment:

  1. But WHAT about those of us who only use internet to CHECK HOROSCOPES, LOOK FOR MOVIE INFO, GET THE SCOOP ON LADY GAGA, and ACCIDENTALLY CLICK ON POP-UP ADS???
    I'd say Yahoo nailed it.

    ReplyDelete