Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Google

I am like Dan Firger in terms of I cannot escape Google. I am obviously a college student and whenever I need to research something Google is my immediate response. I can learn about just about anything on Google. With the last video assignment I also had to use YouTube which is now owned by Google and to post my video I had to access my blog through my Gmail account.

Well Google now owns YouTube and when I searched most popular websites on Google, Google was first followed by Facebook and then YouTube. I don’t really know much about Google’s advertising strategies, but it seems like one of those things that people just know about and do not need to be told to use because it is pretty much a necessity. Google sells advertising to other companies because if it is on Google people will definitely see it. Google will keep growing because it will be able to buy other large web powers. Google and YouTube are probably 2 of the sites I use the most and before you know if Google could own Facebook or some other site and pretty much take over the internet. Google is aptocratic because they are determining what other people view based on what they want us to view through equations on what websites to show. Google can control which website comes up first on a search because it can eliminate websites that it might not want us to see. It is also helping us though the aptocratic system also can eliminate websites that just want to spam us with things.
I was never really a big Yahoo guy, but it seemed like there was too much clutter to me. They tried to do everything on one page which I did not like. With Google I can access my email through it or go to a separate website to get there. From what I remember about Yahoo it tried to do everything from one page. Google also just surpassed Yahoo plain and simple. Yahoo talks about speed, but my Google search was coming up with the results as I was typing in what I wanted to search for.

No comments:

Post a Comment