Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Discussion Questions

Well, as much as I don't want to admit it, I did learn some stuff from this (decidedly frustrating) project. Actually, I bet I learned a ton of stuff. One thing, I've never had to think about copyright at all as far as images are concerned, but once you start looking at that stuff you realize just how restricted almost everythiiiiiiing is. I couldn't believe how many images (and entire websites) have little (c)'s at the bottom next to the words "all rights reserved." How selfish is that. So selfish.
But also, it was good to get acquainted with the digital archives a bit (which were, like, not helpful at all for what I needed...I think with a lot of the archives we were looking at, a good deal depends on whether or not you are lucky enough for a certain archive to just happen to have a big collection relating to your subject. I mean, I looked in EVERY archive that was recommended on the assignment page, and could not even find a SINGLE map of the Punjab...which I thought maps would be, like, the most basic resource that exists). But it's good to be able to navigate those rascals I think. It doesn't hurt to have more resources.
Well, since we don't have any projects up yet, I'll just comment on mine, which was based on a very specific topic: Martyrdom in the Sikh Tradition (By Dr. Fenech). I didn't know anything about Sikhism, or martyrdom within Sikhism, and when I was reading Fenech's book, I understood very little of it. But what I got out of it was some basic facts about the religion and the emphasis this religion places on martyrdom. So I tried to put together some kind of little narrative that would give basic insight into Sikhism, with an emphasis on information relating to martyrdom. It was a pretty interesting project though, as difficult as it was, and I think it gave me a good idea of what it's like to be an image researcher. Which is something I will never. ever. do.

No comments:

Post a Comment