Monday, October 11, 2010

Discussion Questions

I found this assignment incredibly challenging. Not only did I have one heck of a time trying to locate an article on the research I was assigned, but I found that the Public Domain is not as vast as I thought it was. I found it difficult to find images that I was looking for. I think the part of this reason is because the images I was searching for were pretty specific, and a little big gruesome. The topic of death is a popular one on the regular internet and the images are plentiful, but not located in the Public Domain. Sometimes I think the reason that it's in the Public Domain is that no one really needs to use it.
While I didn't have the chance to talk to a librarian, since I only got access to my material Monday morning, I do realize how much work they have to do. They are responsible for so much material that their job would be more than stressful. I know one of the points was to appreciate how much they are responsible, and I think now I get it. I cannot imagine being in charge of the Library of Congress. The amount of responsibility that rests on the librarian's shoulders is ridiculous.
I think another reason to do this assignment is to realize how important Digital Archives are. If we did not have them, teaching would be so difficult. If we were not allowed to have this images for academic purposes , or even creative purposes, think of all that would be lost. The potential for improvement decreases at an alarming rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment