Monday, August 30, 2010

Lessig

I believe the Kodak story is about how the invention of film started free expression or made it much simpler. Pictures can be interpreted in different ways and if someone takes a picture they can say that this is what they saw or thought of when they took the picture. Kodak paved the way for free expression in terms of pictures being worth a thousand words. Just Think is a program that helps youth expresses themselves. Today there are so many ways to express yourself, however is seems that most of them take writing or typing of some kind. With Just Think it is a program that children and teens can use to show that they have good ideas. The invention of the camera started this trend and has let people who are not great with words express themselves. The story about September 11th to me is all about how fast the internet is and how people often get their information from the internet. I liked this quote “There was ABC and CBS, but there was also the Internet.” This quote seems very true to me it used to be that when you wanted to see the news you would have to wait until a certain time when the news was on TV. With the invention and the speed that people undated the internet if you see something big happen you will see it on the internet within minutes. This leads me into blogging. Blogging is one of the most important stories because I believe that it makes a lot of the other things possible With blogging people were able to express their feelings it was like the internet was a place where people could mourn and comfort people with their words without ever meeting the person during 9/11 people could blog about their feelings. Blogging is the same thing as Just Think, but they are different forms of free expression. Blogging is the typing and writing side of free expression while Kodak’s camera’s and the Just Think program are about the visual expression.
Open source to me is the freedom. Open source lets people express how they feel about certain things freely. I can create an account to ESPN.com and I can blog about basketball or football. Or I could create an account for a free book club or write reviews of what I think of different books. This freedom lets me express how I feel about certain things and the great part about it is I can’t be wrong because it is what I think about the given topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment