Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Benkler

After reading the first chapter of Benkler's book, he gives many reasons as to why the social networked sphere is a positive development for democratic communication. Some of these instances include an enhanced autonomy, or being more independent whether that means socially or economically. It also enables people to do more in other spheres. What this means, is that it is allowing people the freedom to do what they really feel like doing without having so many constraints or having to follow X amount of rules and regulations. People are not being forced into doing things that they do not necessarily wish to be involved in, and if they do wish to be involved, they do not have to dedicate as much time doing it because there could potentially be other people who are also willing to help complete the same tasks.

Besides Facebook, there are many social networks available. Some of these include Myspace, which is more music oriented. Another large name of a social network is Twitter. Some smaller scale ones would include any blogging website, or any gaming network as well. Some of these could include Neopets, which enables users to create a profile, have a virtual pet and participate in a virtual world. Messengers are becoming more versatile and one includes IMVU, in which the user creates an avatar person to represent them and they can "chat" to other users and become "friends" with them as well. Basically, any website that allows people to connect with each other and share ideas or not share ideas can be related to Benkler's ideas on social networks. Also, all of these sites have ads running along the top or sides of them, thus creating the idea that marketing is everywhere. By targeting certain audiences they are hoping to create more sales in an easier way, it's like bringing the product to the consumer without the consumer ever having to go looking for it.

If I am understanding the concept of using democracy and social networking, I would say that I have used Facebook to organize meetings. I am in a sorority and I hold the position of scholarship chair, so I used Facebook to become friends with all my sisters, and then when needed, I would be able to contact select people if I needed to have meetings with them. The messaging tool was helpful because it enabled us to have a free flowing conversation back and forth to decide on location, date and time if what I suggested wasn't going to work for them. Overall, I find the network very useful in gathering people together, whether it be through an interest page or an event page. It allows for conversation and the flow of ideas back and forth to make the most of a situation.


2 comments:

  1. Hooray for Bailey for being the first POSTER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea...I thought I was on the ball, then she totally beat me to it. :) Then before I know it, five others have posted.

    Bailey, I was thinking about what you said about using Facebook to communicate with all of your sorority. The other day, I was trying to explain to my dad that most young people think email is archaic, and that they use Facebook or texting to communicate. I was definitely reluctant to use Facebook, but once you've started, it quickly becomes the easiest way to get a hold of people.

    ReplyDelete