Tuesday, August 31, 2010

LESSIG

I think the four parts of the chapter have been summarized beyond summarization (beating a dead horse), so I’ll spare you that, and just share with you what I got out of the reading.

Imagine how those early photographers must have felt? I bet it felt magical to them (literally). It was new and amazing, as well as an outlet for creativity. I honestly think the internet is just as “magical”. We live in a world where a college student can create something in his dorm, and by the time he graduates, be a millionaire. Just like the people who called photography “irrelevant”, some people underestimate the power of the online world. Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t “Bieber fever” start with some kid putting his videos up on Youtube?

I remember Bush Sr. sending troops into the desert (older than most of you). In junior high, a friend and I got into making funny videos. Eventually, after much haggling, CFU let us put our shows on public access. I remember going to the studio, handing the guy our VHS tape, and watching him edit it on his room full of equipment. It looked like the NASA launch control……..knobs and buttons everywhere. I can’t tell you I don’t feel a little jealous when I hear about those buses setup for video editing, driving around to schools.

As I read the section about blogging, I thought to myself, when we blog and debate online, in a way we’re deliberating like a jury. A person can throw an idea out for discussion, and within hours (minutes in some cases) you’ll know if it’s acceptable or highly opposed. That politician could have saved himself some grief by discussing online whether or not it’s wise for someone in power to praise segregation.

Ok, finally, a bit on open source. By now it’s been explained, and examples have been given, but did you know that this philosophy isn’t just thriving online? Pen and paper roleplaying games (think Dungeons and Dragons) started using rules that different creators could share. This opened up all sorts of doors for indy publishers. Check out the D20 system

All that talk about tinkering with photos………..made me think of all the things that come from manipulating original things. Isn’t a lot of modern music made from sampling old songs? How bout this: yea....

I say let people play with stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment