Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Benkler




Benkler makes it clear in chapter one that he believes the social network sphere makes a positive impact on democratic communication. There were a few important reasons that Benkler explained that stood out to me. First, he explains that social networks give individuals more of an opportunity to voice their viewpoints and opinions without being controlled by the money or media owners. I understand this as it being easier for people to voice their opinions without some consequences. It gives people more freedom to speak how she or he wants. Secondly, Benkler discusses that social network spheres allow people to be more direct and involved in conversations and debates as opposed to being reserved or passive. It seems to me that there is less social pressure to conform to other people’s opinions while communicating on social networks. Finally, Benkler discusses the importance and significance of social networks clustering within the sphere. Because of this, people can gain more information and read about different viewpoints easily.

I have come across several different social networks in my experience with the internet. CraigsList, for example, is a social network that I thought of while reading Benklers chapter. Craigslist not only gives people the freedom voice his or her opinions on the discussion boards, but it gives people the opportunity to buy and sell items without using outside sources. I consider last.fm a social networking site that allows people to explore music that they like, and as Benkler explained, it groups (or clusters) artists and music together so listeners can find music in an easier manner.

Besides facebook, I use blogs as a social networking source to gain information and communicate. I enjoy doing crafts and because of that, I like to read craft blogs. Blogs are heavily clustered and therefore, I am able to connect from one craft blog to another. I find this very useful because it is a good way to communicate with other people that craft and share tips, opinions and ideas.

2 comments:

  1. When you were talking about people being more direct and involved in conversations, you made me think of this:

    www.psychologyofgames.com

    I know that's not what you meant, but that's what it made me think of. He is right though (Benkler). People do get more involved when they feel safe from consequences. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I understand this as it being easier for people to voice their opinions without some consequences. It gives people more freedom to speak how she or he wants."

    I saw this in the chapter as well, however upon reflection I'm not certain this should be considered a positive development. It is certainly great for people to have the ability to share their opinions and views, but it seems that this freedom is often mistreated because there are no consequences. People can now hide behind avatars and screen names on the Internet, which prevents them from being held accountable. Is that really a positive?

    Just wondered what you thought of it since you had noticed it in the chapter as well...

    ReplyDelete